Friday, September 25, 2009

Tomato Invasion

They started sprouting out of the compost, and there was no turning back.  Not that anyone around here is complaining (we love tomatoes), but cherry tomato plants took over our flower beds this year.  You can see the huge tomato bush in the picture above.  It's choking out my new lavender and rosemary plants, but we decided to let it grow-- no sense in all those tomatoes going to waste.  It was a good decision, I think, because most of the tomato crop at the farm where we purchased our CSA share was killed off by some sort of blight.
Here's my new favorite way to eat cherry tomatoes, for those of you who are interested:

In a baking dish, toss a large handful of whole cherry tomatoes and some sliced hot peppers (like Anaheim) in some olive oil.  Season with sea salt and ground pepper then pop them into a 400 degree oven until they're soft and starting to char a teeny bit.  While the tomatoes are roasting, put a thick slice of crusty french bread in the oven next to the roasting pan, just until it's toasty.  Now you're ready to assemble the most delicious lunch ever~  rub a piece of fresh garlic over one side of the toast, spread the toast with goat cheese, then spoon a big helping of roasted tomatoes on top.  Garnish with chopped fresh basil.  It will smell and taste so delicious that you won't even bother to put it on a plate or grab a napkin, you'll eat it right over the sink like I did.  Then you'll make a second helping.  

4 comments:

Mandy Sroka said...

The little plant you gave us is growing & flourishing too! I'm giving them away there are so many!

grandmom Voo-Pa said...

It's 11:30p.m. and I'm sitting here sallvating over your Tomato Dish!! I can almost smell it..sounds delicious. Will have to give it a try. I bet Aunt Candy already has tried it.
As usual, love the shot of Grace.
love to all,
Voo-Pa

Natalie said...

Mmmm...sounds yummy. That picture of Grace is yummy too ;)

April said...

yuuuuuummmmmmm. That recipe sounds amazing! hopefully i'll get up to MD soon so Grace can help me make it.