Monday, January 25, 2010

Grace Olivia at 2 years going on 3


It's been a while since I've written updates on how the girls are growing and changing, so I thought I'd begin with the firstborn and talk a little about Grace Olivia.

Steve took this picture, and I love it. I wish it could have been my picture of the day for Saturday, but that's against the rules. This is a telling moment in time for Grace-- she really hates getting water on her face in the bath tub, so I have to cover her eyes with a towel while I rinse the shampoo out of her hair. Really, if I was to list her dislikes at this age, rinsing her hair would probably be #1.

Grace is now able to use the potty and get dressed all by herself (although it's best if we still keep a close eye on her). Sometimes she'll run into the bathroom and close the door before we can follow her in, and she'll tell us "I need my privacy!" Grace loves to wear her "wedding shoes" and "church shoes" and twirly skirts and sunglasses and paint her nails and carry her purse, but she doesn't like anything in her hair. I'm dying to put in braids and ponytails and clips but I guess I'll have to save that for the next daughter. Her favorite colors are pink and yellow. She is very articulate and her reasoning skills are developing by leaps and bounds-- it's really amazing to have a conversation with her sometimes! Grace constantly asks us "why", and we have many a long conversation about some random thing until we finally have to end it by saying "because that's how God made it, and I don't know why!!!".

Grace can do simple pre-school activities like matching, categorizing objects, connecting things by drawing lines between them, cutting with scissors, and drawing simple shapes. We're still working on writing actual letters.

Before bed, Grace always asks to sing three songs, in this order: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Jesus Loves Me, and To God Be The Glory. I'm not sure why she chose these three, but it's become a routine that's sweet. I think I'll teach her Amazing Grace next!

Grace continues to become more helpful and motherly with Leah and other younger kids. She is still very passionate which means that's she's prone to breakdowns if she's disappointed, but we also enjoy that part of her personality when she gets very excited and animated about things that make her happy.

She'll be three years old in two months and it'll be fun to update you again on what Grace is doing then!

Leah is next up...

1 comment:

April said...

great picture steve!