The diet is the hard part. Leah can't eat anything that yeast thrives on (which happens to be all the delicious things we love to eat), such as yeasted breads, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, anything fermented, fruits, juices, sugar, corn and corn products. Blah.
Back to the kefir. Kefir is loaded with awesome probiotics and live cultures and living bacteria (sounds delicious, doesn't it?) so it's one of the first things I'm adding back in to Leah's diet. Several family members who have dealt with Lymes-related health issues have reported benefits from eating kefir on a daily basis...and although the idea of making your own kefir sounds a little weird to some, it's easy! You just ferment milk on your counter top! Yay!
OK, here's how you go about making kefir:
1. You'll need a large mason jar (mine is 4 pints), a coffee filter, a wooden spoon, and KEFIR grain thingies. I get mine from my Uncle, because the thing is, once you have one, it GROWS. After a while you can split it up, hand pieces out to your friends, and spread the kefir love. I'm not sure where he got the original culture.
They look like little pieces of cauliflower. You only really need one to make your kefir, so if you're local and you want one of these, I'll share.
2. We've found it easiest to put the grain(s) in a mesh bag or piece of cheesecloth, so that it's easier to keep track of them. You'll see why later...
3. Put the bag into the clean, dry glass jar. The jar needs to be glass, which is non-reactive and sanitary.
4. Fill the jar with milk. I think that whole, organic milk would be the best choice, but you can use whatever your family likes to drink. I only fill mine to the 2-pint line, because that's all we can consume in a day.
5. Put the coffee filter on the top and secure it with a rubber band or the jar's lid band. Sit the jar on your kitchen counter and by the next morning, you'll have kefir! The longer you let it sit out, the more tangy your kefir will be. I'm not really sure how long it can sit out, but 24 hours is plenty of tang for me. Putting the kefir in a plastic or glass pitcher in the fridge will slow down the fermenting process and keep it fresh for a couple of days, if you have any leftovers. I like to use my kefir in the morning as I would use yogurt-- smoothies are the best way to go. Fresh or frozen fruit + some flax seeds+ the kefir in your blender = a super healthy and beneficial way to start your day! My uncle's favorite recipe is a couple bananas, honey, and kefir blended together.
6. You have to use a non-reactive wooden spoon when handling your kefir. In the morning, use the spoon to fish the bag of kefir grains out of the jar, then pour the kefir into your blender or bowl. Return the grains to the empty jar, fill with more milk, and start the process all over again-- you'll have more kefir the next morning.







4 comments:
thanks!! do you think i could make it with coconut milk? i also need to find some kefir "thingies" around here....wonder where to start looking?
Sooo interesting, Heather Grace! I wonder if I could use it with lactose free milk... hmm. Glad to hear sweet Leah's skin is doing better. You're a good mommy!!
I've never tried with coconut milk..that's a very interesting question. I'll ask my uncle where he ordered his from.
Hey Heather, your mother-in-law and my mom are cousins. Mom sent me your most recent post about kefir because I too am having some yeast issues that are causing me to explore the dietary trigger idea. I was wondering if you could email me, I've got some questions for you about what you've gone through with your daughter. My email is kellieburton@verizon.net. Thanks, Kellie
Post a Comment