Friday, January 7, 2011

I Finally Fed Them Something Healthy


The list of foods I'm craving include ice cream, cheesesteak subs, and especially anything salty.  Salty and fried- even better.  This is terrible.  In the first two trimesters of this pregnancy, I actually felt an aversion to fruit and vegetables, with the exception of juice.  Was it in my head?  I'm not sure, but I have to force myself to eat healthy foods.  The other day, I had a refrigerator full of odds and ends and had to make a meal, preferably not from scratch.  This salad came to our rescue!  I really liked it and thought I'd share the recipe.

Brown Rice and Spinach Salad
adapted from marthastewart.com


  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar

  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

  • 1 garlic clove, minced

  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

  • 2 cups cooked brown rice

  • 2 cups baby spinach

  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

  • grilled chicken breast, cubed

  • blue cheese or feta


  • In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, dill, and sugar.  Add the rice (leftover!), spinach, tomatoes, chicken (leftovers!), and cheese.  Toss to coat and serve with crusty bread.  And then ice cream (just kidding!!)

    No comments: