Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Dee's Christmas Sugar Cookies

My late grandmother, Dee, had a great crispy sugar cookie recipe that was passed down to my recipe box. I'm making some tonight while listening to Nat King Cole's Christmas album, and it really feels like Christmas at the Deterding house.
I thought I'd share the feeling!

The recipe, short and oh, so sweet:

2 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla to the shortening mixture; mix well. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Chill. Roll out on a floured surface. Cut with 2" cookie cutters then sprinkle with sugar.
Bake on greased cookie sheets in 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.




2 comments:

Mandy Sroka said...

Mmmmm! Enjoy your play tonight!

Natalie said...

Those look so yummy :) I can practically smell them up here...