Monday, November 22, 2010

The Girls


I used to do a fairly good job writing about the girls each month or so, and keeping sort of an online journal about how they're changing as they get older.  I realized this morning that I've fallen out of the habit of giving these updates, so I thought I'd take a few moments to write some things about Grace and Leah-- for me just as much as for you. 

Grace Olivia, 3 1/2 years old

This is a picture of Grace right after her last ballet/creative movement class of the fall.  Grandma and Pa gifted her with 6 weeks of class, taught by the mom of some of Grace's church buddies, and Grace absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED it!  We all knew she had the energy and some natural rhythm, but it turns out she was one of the most coordinated and attentive little dancers in her class of 3 to 5 year olds!  She is a fabulous skipper and although her arabesque is a little wobbly, she did a great job learning some basic ballet moves and was an inspired "free movement" dancer-- I giggled the whole time I watched her move to Disney songs (the theme of the class was Ballet Princesses).

In the picture she is wearing her absolute favorite ballet leotard.  She is now wearing Princess dress-up dresses every. single. day.  If we have to leave the house, she'll change into regular clothes.  But as soon as we walk through the door she strips down, flings her clothes to the floor, and pulls the princess dress back on.  Both the Belle dress and the Cinderella dress are rather tattered at this point.

Grace is beginning to sound out simple words (only when she's in the mood) and can write many letters herself.  She prints her name very well (it looks like this:  GracE) and her drawings are starting to look more creative (people with facial features, hands and feet; airplanes with a long row of circle windows; outdoor scenes).

Grace is also making up elaborate make-believe games and pulling Leah right into them.  I can't tell you how many times I've answered to "Mom!" only to be told that I'm not Mom anymore, that's who Grace is.  I'm usually the old Queen, instead, which I'm ok with.

Leah Anne, 27 months

Leah is making a lot of good observations (and vocalizing them) and has a funny sense of humor.  She'll talk to herself a lot, sings all the time, and always has a long list of people she's thankful for when we pray at the end of the day.  Her favorite songs are still Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and ABCs.  If I had a dollar for every time I heard those songs...

She also likes to pretend that she's in charge and will tell Grace what she should be doing.  "Gwace, be kiiind!" "Gwace, don't touch this!"  "Gwace, be quiet and go sleep!"  Leah loves to take care of her baby doll and I think she's going to especially love having a baby in the house.  The baby will probably handle Leah's mothering better than Grace does:)

Leah likes to practice writing O's and L's (which still look like V's but she's getting better!).  She'll write row after row of little circles in neat lines.

Both girls talk about the new baby, and I can't wait until the kicks are hard enough for the girls to feel.  The video camera will be ready and waiting for that moment!

2 comments:

VOO-PA said...

Thanks for this update on the girls. I love hearing all about them. Looking forward to our over- niter and just watching them play and interact with Kenny & Matt!!

Alison said...

How cool that these sisters are so different from each other, but are such good pals :)
I remember Leah telling us to be quiet while we were camping :) And Grace being a princess but not caring about the condition on the dress does not surprise me :)