Thursday, March 24, 2011

Peace

I think that "peace" will have to be the theme of my Project 52 this week.  I haven't taken any pictures all week because I'm too busy trying to induce labor and time contractions, but I'm sure I can come up with something that shows "peace".  Here's the story.

I've been banking on having a newborn in my arms by this time and it's just not happening.  Women who are 39 weeks pregnant are, for the most part, always anxious to go into labor and I've been no exception.  This pregnancy has challenged me physically in many ways- and it's been hard to see my higher-than-usual levels of pregnancy discomfort affect my ability to care for my family over the past 9 months.  However,  I've been blessed to have a healthy pregnancy without any complications, for which we as a little family daily thank God.  

When all the "signs" pointed to an early delivery, I set my heart on it and imagined the bliss of having my body to myself again.  And as silly as it may sound (especially to those who have never been pregnant), I was NOT supposed to be waiting, still, for our baby today at six whole days before I'm even due :)

I went to the OB today and saw a doctor that I hadn't seen before.  She told me that I was maybe 2 cm dilated and then launched into a conversation about inducing me on April 5th and setting up appointments for next week.  After two straight nights of false labor, and having been told a week ago that I had progressed to THREE cm and would likely be in labor soon, I was a little discouraged on my drive home from the doctor's office.  

Then I started preaching truth to myself.

-- I can't be discontent with the sovereign plans of a God who loves me and loves my unborn baby so much that every detail of this pregnancy and the future delivery have been planned for our ultimate good.

-- It's not the end of the world if Grace and her sibling share a birthday.  Actually, it will make a 4-year old Grace extremely happy!  The thing I've wanted most was some space between their birthdays, but that's not how we do things in the Deterding family anyway so I need to let that go (right, Steve and Amy?!)

That's all I really had to say to myself to snap out of it.  So, there's been a restoration of peace in my heart and I hope it remains even if I'm headed for another night of regular contractions!

Birthday girl-- she's going to be four next week, I just can't believe it:


2 comments:

grandmom said...

You are a very special young mother, and I love you so much!
Hang in there.

Aunt Candy said...

I remember being 7 whole days before my due date with Kenny and thining, "the baby will be fine if he/she is born now, can't I just have the baby now?" Then about 14 whole days before my due date with Matt I was thinking, "he's (I knew with Matt) done now, can't he just come out?" In fact, with Matt I actually said that to my doctor. He smiled, laughed a little and said nothing.

We're praying for you and your littlest one Heather.