Protocol with a three-week old infant who ran a fever is to take blood, urine, and spinal fluid cultures to rule out every possible virus she could have, since it's hard to diagnose a specific illness in someone so young. Our pediatrician wanted Leah put on antibiotics right away, so that they could get to work should she have any kind of bacterial infection. We are so thankful that the doctors were so thorough and acted quickly, because to everyone's surprise Leah probably has meningitis! Her preliminary "spinal tap" results pointed in that direction, so she has been on three different antibiotics since Thursday, some to treat a possible bacterial meningitis infection and one as a precaution to treat a herpes virus (the particular herpes virus that causes cold sores in the mouth).
Yesterday tests proved that she does NOT have herpes, so we continue to wait on the results from her spinal culture to determine if she has bacterial meningitis (which would have already been treated with the antibiotics regimen) or viral meningitis (which would clear up after running its course). Unfortunately, a computer error kept the spinal fluid from being tested properly, so we won't get the results in the usual 48 hours-- the error was detected this morning, so we have to wait another 24 hours in the hospital and will probably be released on Sunday to await the conclusive results at home.
Leah is doing great. She had been eating well from a bottle in the hospital, and now we are happy to report that she is back to nursing like a champ every three hours! She had an uncomfortable night on Thursday, but last night she slept very well (and so did her parents!) She is alert when awake and her antibiotics-induced stomach aches and diarrhea seem to be gone for the most part. She is not contagious, and if she does indeed have meningitis-- which is what all the professionals think-- it was most likely a result of her travel through the birth canal three weeks ago; my group B strep can cause infection in a baby.
Thank you for all of your prayers and support! We are resting in the fact that God is sovereign over all these events, and we are encouraged to look back and see His hand in all that has transpired. Now we are just waiting to see the results of all the tests, and Lord willing Leah will soon have a clean bill of health! It is possible that a diagnosis of bacterial meningitis will mean a longer hospital stay and further treatment, but the fact that Leah is looking healthy is encouraging to us.
Grace is having a good time staying with her Grandma and Grandpa Deterding, and we are all looking forward to a family reunion in the near future!
Keep praying,
Heather
4 comments:
Praying for you guys... keep me updated! Let me know how she is and give her a big kiss and hug for me.
Lots of Love,
April
Count us among your prayer warriors!
~the Duttons
Hey Heather! Praying for you guys too! We check your blog occasionally and have never commented. :-) Praise God for his guidance through it all. Can't wait to hear when you all are back home and healthy again.
With love and prayers,
Ashley & Nate Boom
Little Leah Anne, so beautiful, so sweet and oh so tiny..tugs at the heart when hearing the news of her stay in the hospital. The detailed update helps. Thanks!
You will all continue to be in my prayers. May God grant a good report on that last culture you're waiting for.
love & prayers,
grandmom Wilson
Post a Comment