I am so sad. I've always felt that peanut allergies were a tragic thing, given all the wonderful things in this world that contain peanuts or peanut butter. Not to mention the fact that peanut reactions can be so severe. And today when the nurse started demonstrating how to use an Epi-pen on Leah, I almost started tearing up. I was a little scared.
But before I scare all of you, I must remember two things: God is in control over Leah's body, and Leah has been exposed to peanuts in the past without any noticeable reaction. I clearly remember fishing a whole peanut out of her mouth not too long ago; it was placed there by her older sister.
I just hope that this allergy has nothing to do with my peanut butter and jelly sandwich cravings when I was pregnant....
Leah also reacted to egg whites, although not as severely. So we'll be taking eggs (including those in baked goods) out of her diet. This may help clear up her eczema a bit.
Eczema was the reason we scheduled the allergy tests in the first place. It just won't go away. There's no guarantee that food allergies are what's making the eczema outbreaks worse, but I'd like to point out that if it wasn't for the bad eczema, we would have never gotten Leah tested for food allergies, and thus we wouldn't have known that she is allergic to peanuts, and because of that we might have had a scary episode the first time I made Leah a pb sandwich!
I suppose it will be a while before we really understand how this allergy thing is going to play out in Leah's life.
* Apparently, positive allergic reactions are only 50% accurate with these tests. A negative (no reaction) result is 95% accurate. Leah had a very large welt where they stuck her with the peanut allergen, so we're interpreting that as a pretty good indicator that she's allergic.
3 comments:
Leah can have Almond Butter and Jelly sandwiches with her Aunt April any time she wants! Little Leah, hopefully this is the answer to helping her eczema go away.
I read the other day that none of us should eat peanut butter because some sort of bacteria usually lives in peanuts (and therefore gets into peanut butter) that MAY be carcinogenic...so there you go! There's a silver lining:)
But seriously, I know it's hard to have to modify diets for these things, but at least you know now and have some solid evidence instead of just wondering and worrying.
Love to you all!
Amy
What an anxious little look on that sweet little face. So sorry to hear of the problem with peanuts!
Jodi would be a big help on this one, as two of her kids had the same problem. I think they both have grown out of the reaction to peanuts now.
love,
Grandmom Voo-pa
Post a Comment