Monday, February 8, 2010

Blizzard Food

Since Saturday, I've had a great time cooking and baking some new recipes...since, you know, we've kinda been stuck at home. Steve encouraged me to share them on the blog, and I thought that would be fun. As well as a nice change of pace from the usual.

Blizzard recipe #1 is Fruitalicious Honey Oatmeal, adapted from the Quaker Oats website (to give credit where credit is due).

3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup dried fruit (I used pitted dried dates), chopped
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned), uncooked

In a medium saucepan, bring the water, honey, dried fruit, and cinnamon to a boil. Once it's boiling, stir in the oats. Return the mixture to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes (for old-fashioned oats, only 1 minute for quick oats) or until it's thickened to your liking, stirring occasionally.

I served the oatmeal with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey. Great substitutes or add-ins include Craisins, dried apricots, or golden raisins.

Serves four.

1 comment:

Aunt Candy said...

I wonder if Grace could post her recipe for snow food, in her own words, of course.