Saturday, February 6, 2010

Blizzard of the Century, Part I


If our power goes out, Steve has provided his family with a warm and cozy igloo, complete with a love seat, coffee table, and three chairs.


It started at 11:00 am yesterday morning, and the snow hasn't stopped since. We're up to about 30 inches so far. As much as I wanted to walk around and take pictures of the snow, I couldn't really move in it without snowshoes or cross-country skis. I took pictures from the porch instead!
These pictures are from 10:00 this morning and 1:00 this afternoon, there are more to come from later in the day.


It's so lovely. Here's some of the picnic tables in the back yard:

This morning was our first attempt to go out and play. The wind was whipping snowflakes around and Leah was a bit overwhelmed by the drifts that are taller than she is. She decided to stand in the doorway in all her gear and talk to her Dad and sister from the safety of the kitchen:

Grace, on the other hand, was ready for some snow storm action:




Note the H.U.G.E. pile of snow behind Steve, next to the porch. It's the snow that he shoveled off the porch and from around the car, starting last night. This, ladies and gentlemen, was destined to become his snow house.

("It's for the girls," he says. Um hmmm Steve. We all know who it's really for.)


We spent some time this morning doing some finger painting:



Next we'll share some pictures of "Grace and Leah's" snow house and the additional 6 inches of snow since 1:00.

3 comments:

grandma deterding said...

Steve,I'm so glad you've still got that amazing "have snow...will create" talent! As I shoveled snow into a big pile by the plum tree this morning, I thought of all the snow forts of bygone days! What wonderful memories you will create for your family!

April said...

i bet steve really did have a sofa, table, and 3 charis in the fort! blizzards are so much fun!

SAN said...

Awe-some! I'm so jealous. Get Oma/Grandma to tell you how to make marshmallow snowmen. That's what I remember from snow days growing up....well, that and Steve's snowforts:) Enjoy!