Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Home List: What I'm Trying Part 2

I'm no expert at any of this, I'm flying by the seat of my pants!  The last time I wrote about the new things I'm trying around here, I mentioned home-grown food and canning/preserving.  Next on my list is making more food from scratch.  My luke-warm feelings about making homemade food instead of buying processed food were intensified when I watched Food, Inc. with Steve the other night.

If you haven't seen it, you should.

I promised Steve that there was no way I'd ever make our family eat vegan (no way), but I wouldn't mind cutting out some refined flour and high-fructose corn syrup.  And yesterday I forked over a few extra dollars for cage-free organic eggs and chicken. Once I look at my budget I'll let you know if it was worth it.

MAKING FOOD FROM SCRATCH:



Grace and I made some whole wheat tortillas for yesterday's lunch.  The recipe was Tex-Mex, so the results were more like gorditas than tortillas, but they were really delicious.  Like flatbread, almost.  Definitely better than store-bought flour tortillas.

Here's the recipe, courtesy of HomesickTexan:

2 cups flour (I used 1 cup unbleached and 1 cup whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp oil
3/4 cup warm milk (I used almost 1 cup)

Combine all the ingredients except for the milk in a large bowl.  Slowly add the warm milk until a sticky ball forms.  Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple minutes until the dough is firm and smooth.  Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 20 minutes.  Divide the dough into 8 pieces, roll into balls, cover with the damp towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

Roll each ball into a thin 8-inch circle.  Cook in a hot iron skillet on high heat; 30 seconds per side.

In the past, I've also liked making my own bread, granola, baking mix, kefir, chocolate pudding, and pasta sauces.  The hard part is being consistent.  I try to think like Ma Ingalls and have a certain day of the week for baking, but it doesn't always work out.  What foods do you like to make for yourself?

3 comments:

Johannah said...

Right now I'm making all of Molly's baby food, which I think is really fun! Every Sunday, we cook, puree, and freeze all her fruits and veggies for the week. We just planted our first significant herb and vegetable garden. I'd love to experiment with some other homemade items. I'd love to hear about your experiences making kefir. Where do you get your kefir culture? What kind of container do you ferment yours in? How do you strain it?

SAN said...

Yes, i'd like a "keffir instructions" posting, too:)

Heather D said...

I haven't made kefir for a while, but I'd like to start again. If I can get my hands on some kefir "grains", I'll post about it:)