Monday, March 26, 2007

A Conversation

Dr. P, M.D.: Well, it looks like you're due in...two days...it's routine to have an exam at this point, unless you'd rather not?

Very Pregnant Heather: YES!!! PLEEEEASE!!!
...

Dr. P: Okay...yup...looks like you're favorable.
H: How favorable?? Like "tonight" favorable??
Dr. P: haha, well, I can't tell you that. It could be any time.

...

Modern medicine can't even tell me if I'm "favorable" enough to go into labor in a few hours!! Hearing that it could be any time is reassuring, though.
I did need to ask what the high-tech medical term "favorable" means. It's a way of saying that I'm a little dilated (a couple centimeters...this is not an exact science), and all other things that have to change in order to permit labor have begun to change.

I have another appointment set up for next Monday, and if I still have not progressed any further by that point, I'll be induced on Wednesday or Thursday (7 or 8 days overdue). It's a relief to have a definite birth date on the calendar, but we are hoping and praying that things happen on their own before then!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Darn that raspberry leaf tea!! What a failure of a remedy :).
You look beautiful-- the end is in sight, and you're going to be one great mom!!!
I had such a great time with you and Steve on Saturday. Thanks for being a wonderful friend.
See you at the hospital ;o).
Love,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

"Anytime now"!!!! Alison, Natalie, and I (oh yeah...and Brad and Kevin) are standing by with phones in hand!!!! Love you!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I was hoping to run up here and read that there was a baby deterding to come meet!!!

But, it is the due date, and there's no post yet ... so maybeeee????

Miss you a lot, hope that baby is on its way which is why you can't post. Can't wait to see you as a momma and to meet a new kindred spirit baby :)

Love, Lauren