Monday, March 12, 2007

Visit to the OB


I've graduated to weekly visits to the Obstetrician, and today I entered the office hoping to be given a reason to believe that labor is imminent...


Well, better luck next time!


I am happy to report that things are progressing in that direction, however. One of my favorite doctors in the practice examined me today. She's a favorite because she is has the most soothing voice, is very easy to talk to, oohs and ahhs over my belly as she pats it, and asks the baby "when are you going to come out?!" just like the mommy and daddy do. I lamented to her that the baby never gives us an answer. Unfortunately, she happens to be on call in the hospital next Monday, and as much as I'd like her to catch my baby I'm afraid that I'd rather not wait that long.


Results of the examination: the baby's head is very low, and I'm very proud that the little one figured out that the head should come out first, without having to be told! Unfortunately, I'm just not dilated yet. A little dissapointing, but that doesn't mean I couldn't start dilating at any time this week, Lord willing. (Aunt April is in town and it would be lovely to have the baby while my sister is in Maryland).


I also heard the heartbeat, and as usual Benjamin Grace was doing aerobics. "This baby is so active!" the doctor says every time.


It was also confirmed that I have joined an elite group of women (1/3 of all females, apparently) who are Group-B Strep positive. This means that I have strep bacteria in my lower abdominal cavity (we usually hear of the strep bacteria that lives in the throat...that's "group A"). Because it's not good for a baby to be exposed to the strep, my birthing plan has to change a little-- if my water breaks at home, I have to go to the hospital right away to be put on an antibiotics IV, since the amniotic fluid would no longer be present as a protective barrier. If labor does not progress quickly enough, I would also be given Pitocin to move things along. It's all quite common and I'm glad that we're aware of it.


Anxious anticipation and impatience aside, we're all doing well. I feel increasingly uncomfortable, but that makes me happy because it means the baby and I are gearing up for the big event. Last week I had an incredible burst of energy and decided to reorganize inside all the closets and under all the bathroom sinks. After a trip to Target for organizational essentials, I am proud to say that my "Nesting" urges paid off. It's great! More cleaning awaits, but I think my energy is trickling away...some would say that means I'm about to have a baby. I like that.


I'd like to close by thanking my great-uncle Joe for predicting in the Baby Poll (Feb. 4th's blog) that I'd give birth two days ago, on the tenth. I was rooting for you to win! Better luck next time.


My mother-in-law guessed TODAY, March 12... there's still time, Grandma!! Good luck.



6 comments:

Alison said...

isn't it CRAZY that someone could be winning the baby poll - seems like it just came so quick (although i'm sure you feel otherwise).....i just can't believe that we'll be meeting baby deterding so soon!!
you better post daily - natalie's comment was true, if we don't hear from you we'll all assume you're having a baby! :)
thinking of you often,
alison

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to hear that my "women's intuition" isn't in sync with reality yet. I suppose it was God urging me to pray for you:)

Hey, your fav doctor will be on call for "my" baby poll date!!

Love,
Kelli

Natalie said...

I'm going to need you to go ahead and wait until the evening of March 24 to have this baby. I'm filling out my March Madness Brackets right now, and I have a feeling I'm going to need to win the baby poll to help defray the cost of picking all of the wrong teams.

Just Kidding! I hope he/she comes as soon as possible!

Mandy Sroka said...

Oh, little Benjamin Grace! When will you come? Waiting is so hard...but I know you can do it. We are excitedly awaiting it's arrival. Emma is all ready to take care of a crying baby. She makes her baby doll cry and gives it a bottle, a hat, a pacifier, and toys! We'll just send her to be your nurse when needed. Hope to hear baby D is on the way soon!

Anonymous said...

"Mommy, my head is down and I'm ready to go. Now, if you could open up, I'd love to see you face to face!"

Heather D said...

Dear Benjamin Grace,
BELIEVE me, I'm doing everything I can to open up! You up for a brisk walk after a spicy dinner tonight?

love,
Mommy